Goden

Where are the High Level Martial Artists/Fighters at?

On 9/19/2024 at 12:43 PM, -ꦥꦏ꧀ ꦱꦠꦿꦶꦪꦺꦴ- said:

But seriously, if you think GM Wolf is so good, why not just learn from him?

I can't get in contact with him, ive sent emails but his website says he hasn't been available since January of this year. I guess its not meant to be 

On 9/19/2024 at 6:24 PM, Nungali said:

Too expensive  ?

His prices are actually really cheap, I dont understand why people dont like him. He is the only person ive seen who tells the truth with no opinions or preconceptions. Just pure truth, when I first found him it hurt my ego so I didn't watch much but then I came back and realized he is telling absolute truth, not relative truths that most talk about. Its not for everyone I understand 

4 minutes ago, -ꦥꦏ꧀ ꦱꦠꦿꦶꦪꦺꦴ- said:

So what is your next step?

Farming

• Like 2

On 9/19/2024 at 6:21 PM, Nungali said:

Ahhh !  So you are GM Wolf ! 

On 9/20/2024 at 3:12 AM, Sanity Check said:

I think this guy is legit.

Even has some pro MMA fights.

Wow I seen this guy years ago seems pretty cool I might have to look back into him in the future, thanks

On 9/20/2024 at 9:15 PM, ChiDragon said:

How do you define "stillness in action"?

I have an idea of it but I can't put it into words, I need to meditate and then contemplate and then type it in. I dont know if I can do this currently sorry. I guess I can just say my previous self was looking for martial artists/fighters who are self realized/enlightened to a certain degree even though I know its very subjective to measure that and it can't really be answered without a lot more context. I now dont really care to look for them, if the universe wants me to meet one then I meet one. I guess im still interested but not really looking for that anymore

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Goden said:

was looking for martial artists/fighters who are self realized/enlightened to a certain degree

Why look for martial artists, then? Why not musicians, writers, singers, artists, and even farmers?

The thing is, the majority of martial arts people are not very smart to say the least, and thus, they cannot be enlightened in any way. Getting hit in the head and doing physical training just does not grow/develop your brain or spirit in any meaningful way.

Muladhara (physical body) is as far as possible as (Sahasrara) Spiritual body.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2024 at 6:15 PM, ChiDragon said:

How do you define "stillness in action"?

静中帶動

動中帶静

This two phrases are very Paradoxal.

It is hard to be translated in any language.

Edited by ChiDragon

4 hours ago, Goden said:

Farming

Cool !  What are you going to farm ?

That could be a good start if you do a lot of it manually . In at least one MA tradition I know of , when they came together to train the people from the countryside ( the farmers ) would trounce those from the city  ... they got too soft .

Farming makes ya strong !    I will hide this as its a bit 'not nice'

Spoiler

Its war time violence .... so you are warned

Spoiler

WWII PNG a group of Aussies are pinned down ,  a few guys decide to take a risk and manage to break out, cross over and invade the Japanese trench opposing the others .  But what now ? In a trench you can only be one man wide , so now there is a line of Aussies in the trench and the guy on the end is facing a Japanese soldier , with a line of Japs behind him . The Aussie guy on the end  of the line is a big guy, a country (not more than a ) kid , not long off the farm . he spent a lot of time with a pitchfork hoiking hay up onto the back of the tractor trailer or onto haystacks .

Its close quarter trench fighting so he sticks the other with his bayonet on the end of his rifle , but what now , now he has someone stuck on the end of his gun, so he cant use the bayonet again until he is off it . And besides now the trench is blocked with this dead guy in the way .  So he hoicks him up in the air with the gun and bayonet and tosses him back over his head, behind the others . They work their way  along the trench with this lad at the front stabbing the others and hoicking them over his head  back into the line where they finish them off . They go down the line and dispose of the rest of them, except for the last few, that by now are in terror of him and run off .

Farm boy ! 

Farming will certainly help you 'master yourself '  . As long as you are not rich and high tech  (sitting inside while auto tractor does the work directed by satellite won't actually help you  :D  )

I train with 'farmers' tools as weapons ; pole (staff) sickles, flails, hoe, hatchet , machete , etc .  ie kobudo.

ATM I am doing potatoes, tomatoes, broccolini .

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Neirong said:

The thing is, the majority of martial arts people are not very smart to say the least, and thus, they cannot be enlightened in any way. Getting hit in the head and doing physical training just does not grow/develop your brain or spirit in any meaningful way.

I realize you are saying "the majority", and not "all", but I would still like to caution you on this! Pretty much all of the advanced martial artists I've met have been smarter than average, and many have Masters or PhDs. Likewise, if you see them fight, there's a lot of thought put into every move they make. A lot goes into classical martial arts training besides just doing pushups and getting hit (though these are very important aspects too)!

It's a simple matter of Yin and Yang; in order to work the mind, you must also work the body. If you'd prefer western science, there are also many peer-reviewed studies that have found physical training to have extremely helpful effects on mental function.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paradoxal said:

It's a simple matter of Yin and Yang; in order to work the mind, you must also work the body. If you'd prefer western science, there are also many peer-reviewed studies that have found physical training to have extremely helpful effects on mental function.

That was known as the Xing and Ming dual cultivation as in Taoist practice.

The mind must be calm and have peace in the heart to avoid depression. Depression causes internal malfunction of the organs and it's harmful to the body. The Chinese Taoist had discovered long time ago?

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nungali said:

Cool !  What are you going to farm ?

I dont know yet Im going to one of those live-in organic farm jobs/internships, I applied for many hoping I get this one https://brockmanfamilyfarming.com/henrys-farm/. I'll probably be farming a variety of different type of plants. Im going to a farm off of WWOOF.net in 3 days that's located in North Georgia.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Paradoxal said:

I realize you are saying "the majority", and not "all", but I would still like to caution you on this! Pretty much all of the advanced martial artists I've met have been smarter than average, and many have Masters or PhDs. Likewise, if you see them fight, there's a lot of thought put into every move they make. A lot goes into classical martial arts training besides just doing pushups and getting hit (though these are very important aspects too)!

One of our instructors  was telling me that when he was in Okinawa  to train with our teacher , teacher would not train with them all the time , sometimes he would sit there and watch other times sit there and read . So he asked teacher what he was reading .

He held the book up , printed in Japanese and said   , " Socrates !  " 

- then again, I dont think too many people hit him in the head    ;)  .

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ChiDragon said:

That was known as the Xing and Ming dual cultivation as in Taoist practice.

The mind must be calm and have peace in the heart to avoid depression. Depression causes internal malfunction of the organs and it's harmful to the body. The Chinese Taoist had discovered long time ago?

In practice I am to have 'no mind'  - a mind not thinking of  anything , especially things that have noting to do with what you are doing  then .  But you dont really need mind for this, after a while , it should eventually become ; observation  and response due to to training . I think an aspect of the mind is at work here sometimes , when things get 'tricky' or you become 'innovative'  ( I am talking about being in a situation like a sword 'match'  )  but its a deep unconscious  aspect in another time stream , not the 'monkey mind ' .

If people could not do this  ( 'no mind ' )  I would then advise them to think of or visualise, with their mind,  'clear blue sky ' .

The physical body side of things all stems from  the idea of 'keeping weight underside ' .

The other two aspects are ;  constantly projecting ki , through the arms and hands and out the fingers , but also  from everywhere ; the pores of the skin, the eyes , etc .  And 'absorbing ki '  via the 'one point '   ( similar to LDT )  .

Thats the 4 elemental aspects , in the above order of ;  air (mind ) , earth ( body / balance / gravity ) ,  fire (ki ) , water (absorption) .

Oh, the Chinese system has metal as an element as well  .... that would be my sword    ;)     . 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nungali said:

In practice I am to have 'no mind'  - a mind not thinking of  anything , especially things that have noting to do with what you are doing 

It is because you are in deep cultivation of the mind already.

Edited by ChiDragon

2 hours ago, Goden said:

I dont know yet Im going to one of those live-in organic farm jobs/internships, I applied for many hoping I get this one https://brockmanfamilyfarming.com/henrys-farm/. I'll probably be farming a variety of different type of plants. Im going to a farm off of WWOOF.net in 3 days that's located in North Georgia.

Thats great ! Looks like good soil . I liked the way they include that info .   I did a study on my place and the valleys formation and wrote it up , it goes back to the formation of proto-Australia , when it moved to the South Pole  and formed in with 'Gondwanaland' , how the valley was formed by ancient subduction fault under the ocean, surfaced , volcanic activities and the formation of soils and different soil profiles .

This is the sort of area I am in ;

https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/conservation-and-heritage/gondwana-rainforests-of-australia

adjacent to this one ;

https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/visit-a-park/parks/dorrigo-national-park

Also I used to work for Bio-dynamic Agriculture Australia and for a while I was the soil preparation and additives maker   for them supplying across the country .

WWOOF is the go, and is used on a few of the old communes / 'communities ' here . It pays to build some workers accommodation and facilities , and put on good food ... many hands make  good farming possible .   A friend of mine has twin 19 yo daughters , they recently did a trip across Europe WWOOFing .

Just think , a strong lad like you could come here , do gardening  work AND get MA training   !    :)  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChiDragon said:

Eh ?

23 minutes ago, ChiDragon said:

18 minutes ago, Nungali said:

Eh ?

40 minutes ago, Nungali said:

a mind not thinking of  anything , especially things that have noting to do with what you are doing  then .  But you dont really need mind for this,

Isn't that was what you had cultivated your mind to do?

23 minutes ago, ChiDragon said:

It is because you are in deep cultivation of the mind already

Isn't that was what you had cultivated your mind to do?

Ah , you changed tense between your two statements .   So yes to the second one .

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Nungali said:

He held the book up , printed in Japanese and said   , " Socrates !  " 

In my eyes, any valid martial art needs a very deep philosophical component. I still make a point of reading new works on philosophy often because of this. 

The philosophical component is why I don't see western wrestling, (kick)boxing or MMA as martial arts, but rather as sport. If the art doesn't have this philosophical foundation, then even if someone sticks with it for many years, they'll miss the most crucial aspect that can be gained from martial arts: Dao. Yes, it's possible to get very good at violence through these sports, but that's all; inversely, it's possible to enter these sports from martial arts traditions as a place to test one's skill and sharpen oneself, but that's all that will be gained (still very valuable though, I'd like to point out). In Japanese terms, I'd argue that a valid martial art requires both "do" and "jutsu;" if it lacks "do," then it is simply a sport, yet if it lacks "jutsu," then it is nothing more than a dance. 

• Like 2

On 23.9.2024 at 12:11 PM, Goden said:

I'm not looking to win fights, I'm looking to master myself.

That's great, a wonderful thing to do actually,  but that's by definition not a martial art. 

Actually it is exactly what some martial arts claim .   Especially Japanese ones . That transition happened after WWII occupation where things like martial arts where banned . They got it around iot by ' No no no ... these are arts for self development .... the opponant is yourself , etc .

Aikido was the classic ; went from the secret art of a military cult (Ueshiba and his mates )  to some peaceful way of loving resolution (via his son post WWII )

;)

• Like 1

On 24.9.2024 at 5:25 PM, Nungali said:

Actually it is exactly what some martial arts claim .   Especially Japanese ones . That transition happened after WWII occupation where things like martial arts where banned . They got it around iot by ' No no no ... these are arts for self development .... the opponant is yourself , etc .

Aikido was the classic ; went from the secret art of a military cult (Ueshiba and his mates )  to some peaceful way of loving resolution (via his son post WWII )

;)

so really they are "your country lost the war and is having to rationalize things arts?"

7 hours ago, Maddie said:

so really they are "your country lost the war and is having to rationalize things arts?"

In a sense, yes, but historically most of these arts do trace lineage back to either Buddhist or Taoist practice.

As far as I know, everything that came out of Shaolin was designed specifically to enhance (or to be a self-enclosed) Buddhist practice, and literally every system of Karate, as well as its derivatives in TKD, trace a major part of their lineage back to Shaolin. I'm unsure whether Japanese jujutsu has roots in Shaolin or in Taiji, but I see a lot of similarities to Taiji in Aikido. Additionally, I do know that what is commonly called 'ninjutsu' definitely has major influence from Shaolin. 

Thus, I'd argue that these arts are not being rationalized into "peace-loving" after losing a war, but are rather returning to their roots after a divergence twisted them too far into the martial side of things. Extreme yang becomes moderate yin, after all.