blue eyed snake

Wim Hof, some less savoury details

3 hours ago, blue eyed snake said:

Its sickening .... I have had to deal with 'one of these ' .  The worst part is the support they get from others  .... for a variety of lame, stupid, base or conditioned 'reasoning'  ( feelings ? )  ... even when exposed !  

Some even buy his excuses !   he tried them on me ... trying to excuse his behavior or shift blame . I could not believe it as everything he said , and people thought that was valid , is in all the current adverts about domestic violence  as  ; " NO EXCUSE ! " .... listening to him was like listening to this list of 'not an excuse ! "

He would try it on me as well, if he didnt think I would take him out in a flash if he tried it on ... its all they understand .   I have had to go on 'watch' twice with him (meaning I was on alert to immediately respond to any attempt of his to harass  or threaten a certain woman .

And of course, he still remains some type of cool 'go to' hero guy   -  sickening  .   And me ? Well, I dont 'fit in' do I  because of my potentially violent nature !

Well, thats what I settled down to , and I dont care ... its what works ! 

And I think if more people stood up in their face and do what I do  (even though I suffer socially from it ) we would not have as much domestic violence and abuse of children and elderly .  So I blame the pathetic flaccid immoral nature of society as well .

[ My mates friend was upset as his daughter being beaten by ice junkie BF .  He said '' I know its her fault as she should leave him , but thats my daughter with bruises and black eyes ! "   So the two of them went around to visit him when she wasnt there - kicked the door in , he squealed for  the police of course , but  they pointed out he still had ice pipe and stuff about ; go on then .... then explained for every mark they see on her, he gets two of the same .   They gave him a sample to think about .   - some think that was shocking ..... but daughter got no more black eyes and bruises .

Who lives by the sword  (or fear . violence and stand over tactics )  dies by it ....

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 3

The first link in English works perfectly fine. Maybe PW for people living in the Netherlands.

Edit:  never heard of this person before. How did people come across with this healer?

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Gerard said:

The first link in English works perfectly fine. Maybe PW for people living in the Netherlands.

Edit:  never heard of this person before. How did people come across with this healer?

He’s probably the most famous and mainstream “healer” in the West these days, or at least in Europe. He even has his own show on the BBC here in the UK

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nungali said:

Some even buy his excuses !   he tried them on me ... trying to excuse his behavior or shift blame . I could not believe it as everything he said , and people thought that was valid , is in all the current adverts about domestic violence  as  ; " NO EXCUSE ! " .... listening to him was like listening to this list of 'not an excuse ! "

DARVO ("deny, attack, and reverse victim & offender") is a reaction that perpetrators of wrongdoing, such as sexual offenders, may display in response to being held accountable for their behavior. Some researchers indicate that it is a common manipulation strategy of psychological abusers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DARVO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Gerard said:

How did people come across with this healer?

Many of us have taken his online courses. My body was able, with training, to stay submerged in high mountain lakes at very low temperatures for unsafe periods of time. It goes to show that demonstrable physical and mental mastery is meaningless if the heart is cold and cruel. 

I'm glad she is bringing this to light. It can be very hard and re-traumatizing for victims of abuse to expose themselves in this way. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blue eyed snake said:

Yeah, I had one of those ... moments.  It´s something that happens to me from time to time, probably because of all the cold showers.

• Like 1

I was not aware there have been so many deaths linked to Hof's teachings.

Also had no idea about his personal demons. 

When I learned tummo, it was taught in a very cautious manner with all participants being closely monitored by several monks throughout the retreat. I always felt Hof was a bit careless with the way he presented these teachings to the general public. They can have profound physiological effects and not everyone is suited to the practice. 

• Like 3

Well, i was aware of it, he's a landsman of mine and every now and then some bad news about him pops up, dangerous fellow. As a youngster I was taught the trick of fast breathing to enable me to swim long stretches under water, not without very strict instructions and dire warnings and listen closely  to the signals of your body.

What Hof is doing can be very dangerous, i have a lot of respect for the lady now that at last she comes out with the story so clearcut. That takes more guts then Hof will ever muster.

• Like 1

His breathing technique is basically hyperventilating, I much much prefer the Buteyko school of pure light nasal breathing, increasing the bodies CO2 tolerance and improving body oxygenation... Buteyko is much more in line with Taoist breathing techniques. In regards to cold water immersion that's been practiced in Scandinavia and Russia for centuries, also in Harbin northern China....

• Like 1

Interesting video here, which raises doubts about the circumstances of the death of his first wife, in light of the allegations of abuse against his second wife. 

I practiced this method for several years, but I stopped around four years back after several qigong teachers warned that it worked by depleting jing. 

Also, this turned me off cold exposure in a big way. 

https://anncecilsterman.com/cold-plunge-cold-shower-hot-mess-by-ann-cecil-sterman/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vajra Fist said:

Interesting video here, which raises doubts about the circumstances of the death of his first wife, in light of the allegations of abuse against his second wife. 

I practiced this method for several years, but I stopped around four years back after several qigong teachers warned that it worked by depleting jing. 

https://anncecilsterman.com/cold-plunge-cold-shower-hot-mess-by-ann-cecil-sterman/

Yes, my teacher warned me for it too and that second link describes beautifully how that works and links the way it is seen from a TCM perspective to the western way of looking at it. Really worthwhile the read, thanks for posting that.

As I see it, the continually kicking up adrenalin ( and cortisol and several other stress balancing systems) will, in the long run, get you in an " uptight"  high stress position as a base-line.

Incidentally, that is what we see in the founder of this 'system'. 

Edited by blue eyed snake
typo
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Vajra Fist said:

This 

and is it true, as some say, that many of his practitioners develop ringing in the ears?

32 minutes ago, Kojiro said:

and is it true, as some say, that many of his practitioners develop ringing in the ears?

i do not know, bu i do know that a dysregulated stress-system can lead to tinnitus

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vajra Fist said:

Did you feel much better after stopping it?

14 hours ago, -ꦥꦏ꧀ ꦱꦠꦿꦶꦪꦺꦴ- said:

Did you feel much better after stopping it?

I had a skin issue that I developed after a year of practice. Weird blistering and dry patches in between my fingers that was quite unsightly. This went away as soon as I stopped practicing. No idea what the cause might be, but have seen a small handful of others on the wim FB group having a similar issue. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Vajra Fist said:

I had a skin issue that I developed after a year of practice. Weird blistering and dry patches in between my fingers that was quite unsightly. This went away as soon as I stopped practicing. No idea what the cause might be, but have seen a small handful of others on the wim FB group having a similar issue. 

Well your skin and lungs are linked together. Sometimes respiratory issues will result in skin issues too. When my asthma is bad I get rashes and dry skin, usually on the insides of my elbows. Could be that his breathing method has a certain negative effect on the lungs which causes it to manifest as those patches on the hand.

Glad to hear it sorted out after you stopped!

Edited by -ꦥꦏ꧀ ꦱꦠꦿꦶꦪꦺꦴ-
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/14/2024 at 5:29 AM, Vajra Fist said:

Were your issues from the cold baths or from the breathing?

When people say "Wim Hof Method", they could be referring to the cold, the breathing, or both.