Sir Darius the Clairvoyent

Dear Buddhists, I have a question

First of all, let me say that I know way to little about your philosophy/tradition/religion/system. I hope you'll forgive any potential misunderstanding of your faith. I find a lot of beauty and wisdom in your system. One thing I am a little uncertain about tho, is the focus on suffering, and all the energy that goes into avoiding it. That suffering is part of life is absolutely undeniable. However, I wonder, if this perspective possibly hinders your from experiencing all the beauty of life?

Again, I might be totally misunderstanding your way of life, and would really appreciate if someone could clarify.

In short: No. :)

Probably I never enjoyed life like I do now. 

For example, being conscious of your own death, unavoidable death (also for you, and maybe not so far away as we think) makes you value a lot more every moment of experience. 

Best wishes

Edited by tao.te.kat
  • Like 3

We are unified by suffering. The middle path helps reduce suffering. Siddhartha experienced both opulence and asceticism, and while meditating heard a music teacher instruct his pupil to not have the string of the instrument too tight or too slack which was a revelation. 

An other way to look at your musing is, we all need to eat to avoid suffering hunger, so why not turn this necessity into a shared joy.

• Like 3

Sometimes it is suffering that brings one to seek a way not to suffer. So, Buddhism starts with understanding suffering and ways to freedom from suffering. Notice, one is not avoiding anything. One is looking for freedom from suffering. Of course suffering is unavoidable. If you live then you will suffer. It is this suffering that sometimes drives one to seek relief from such things.

Do we avoid it? No, we experience life as it is and strive to survive or flourish in this life. But, also do not run into things just to experience suffering. It is a way of living that is balanced.

To understand Buddhism then one should practice. Learn the Dharma and practice living a good life.  Sit in meditation. Read and interact with others on the path. Good luck to you.

• Like 2

i have found that while there inevitably will be discomfort and there will occasionally be intense pain, this does not require, mandate or force one to suffer.

Suffering is a product generated in egoic awareness; it is a crisis of perception in my experience. 

>I don’t ever want to lose this ability to feel such sorrow. 

This statement is quite strange. I was thinking you will say "I dont want to lose the ability to feel love".

Buddhism is focused on love and compassion, and kindness. Not only not to avoid it but it's central in buddhism. There's no bodhisatva without compassion and kindness.

But buddhism also teaches you that sorrow and suffering is not mandatory. It's optional. Being mandatory if you love seems to be the foundation of your argument. So for buddhism your argument is flawed. Buddhism breaks the relation love-sorrow you comment on.

If you want to feel sorrow because is part of the beauty of life, then yes, buddhism wont be for you. But maybe you just meant that you will not renounce love for fear of sorrow. Then Buddhism agrees with you 100%.

Also we all must admit that not every doctrine is for everyone. We're all different. So it's fine if you find buddhism strange and not for you.

Best wishes.

Edited by tao.te.kat
  • Like 2

You can’t have a positive without creating a negative.
有無相生 - You(有) and Wu(無) mutually produce each other (DDJ Ch 2, CD translation)

Edited by Cobie

>You can’t have a positive without creating a negative.

So you're not a buddhist because that are your beliefs, no surprise, no problem, Wish you the best.

• Thanks 1