Sir Darius the Clairvoyent

Fellow westerners, we are very good at seing foreign propaganda

Multiple one's ! 

More recently ; Australia's 'push' to get nuclear energy . Experts galore ... even appointed ones for 'the party' and saying no no no ... look what happens elsewhere . We get bombarded (in some areas ) with facts and details about cost and time blowouts  and  the high cost of it  from overseas  installations .  We get told time and time again how the only real viable and 'cheaper' way is to continue to expand on 'green ' sources ...

YET  

'that' aspect of government  continues to ignore that and continue trying to convince people .... politician direct to public (ie without qualified opinion )  that we need to do it .... that we WILL BE doing it   (if they get voted in ) .

alternatively ... just switch  to SKYnews here ...  ( I watch a bit of it sometimes - entertainment purposes only  ;)  )

These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.

• Overall, we rate Sky News Australia Right-Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that mostly favor the right. We also rate them borderline Questionable and Mixed for factual reporting due to several failed fact checks, unproven claims, and the promotion of conspiracy theories and misinformation.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/sky-news-australia/

• Like 1

One thing that makes me sick to the stomach, is policing of language. I mean, it is literally Orwellian.

'Fact-checking bothers me a little bit. I want uncensored debate and have trust that people are capable of making up their own mind.

From an article on fact checking I read today:

"Recently, VG, NRK, the Norwegian Journalist Association, Faktisk.no, the Redaktørforeningen and the Media Companies National Association launched a proposal for a new center for source criticism.

The center will "fight disinformation and strengthen people's resilience against fake news" and estimates an operating budget of NOK 70-100 million."

Allright... but the thing is, the organizations mentioned here, that push for this, are literally 95% of Norwegian media. Who are they going to fact check? Themself? Each other? I kind of took it for granted that they already did, but...

"Besides, Satter believes, no one is capable of fact-checking fast enough to keep up with their lies and misrepresentations. The lies are designed to appeal to people who are non-factual, on an emotional level.

That is why they need good information, he believes. And if we are not able to give them good information, then you cannot be surprised if the Russians succeed in their propaganda."

A much more sensible approach I think.

"With too great ambitions, fact-checkers are also in danger of smoking more than it grows. It is an impossible task, and one almost certainly gets bogged down in endless whining that one is out to silence dissenting voices.

Such so-called "meta-debates" can quickly go in the "knee-jerk" favour, because many people out there react on autopilot, against "censorship" and better-informed people. Not because it is like that, but because it is experienced and, not least, feels like that.

Some will probably think that the center will become a kind of ministry of truth, with the implication that freedom of expression is once again under attack.

Don't bite it.

It is not, and has never been, an attack on freedom of expression to be critical and make quality requirements for verifiability."

What? Nobody is skeptical of verifiability. We love it. We are skeptical of you asking us to believe you on blind faith. A center that controls what information that reaches the people has never been an attack on freedom of expression???

"Of course, we should not fall into the Swedish trap either, where all debate about immigration was chased out of the "opinion corridor". It is, to put it somewhat banally, about behaving maturely and responsibly."

Very reasonable. Only worry I have, is if "behaving maturely" is code for "behave as I want you to." If not, I am good.

This caricature is from the article:

7d841945-13e6-46b5-b340-a9b7aed9a766?format=auto&w=1080&s=492b8f5035f2e96c64b51ffb344e32ede09fd397

One term I remember the media introduced when Russia invaded Ukraine, was "angrepskrig." Translates to attacking war. I mean... what else is a war? "peace keeping operation?"

Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.  ~George Carlin  Gods how I miss that man's insight and fearlessness with observation and word smithing.

As for fact checking bothering you slightly... what's wrong with calling out lies when noticed?

3 minutes ago, silent thunder said:

Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.  ~George Carlin  Gods how I miss that man's insight and fearlessness with observation and word smithing.

As for fact checking bothering you slightly... what's wrong with calling out lies when noticed?

Lies should absolutley be pointed Out! My issue is that it might turn into cencorship: a way of silencing everyone who dont follow the narrative of who ever runs this world.

• Thanks 1

Guess it's a semantic issue then. Fact checking is due diligence to me.  It should be pursued like science, let the evidence lead the way to clarity.

Any spin of the facts is just another lie which will eventually be revealed, and countered by the check, or ignored, embraced and swallowed by the wilfull ignorants (and there's no helping or hindering those folks it seems). 

C'est la vie.