ChiDragon

The Downvote Feature!

16 hours ago, liminal_luke said:

Taobums policies come and go but ChiDragons are forever.

Hahaha

Taobums come and go but ChiDragon are forever after three bans and still here.

Peace on earth!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ChiDragon said:

Thank you for your advice. No body is wrong here. They are just have different knowledge about things here. Those who are always against me are acting the same way here. It seems to me that the majority here are acting pretty fairly. That is what I have expected. It is human nature.  I am not upset with anyone here. They have all the rights the reject my ideas. Please don't forget we have an ignore option here for people to choose.

I have nothing against you, just some jokes my friend

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, ChiDragon said:

Yes, that is applied to the things, in general, with the yin-yang concept in Yijing. However, when it was applied to human behavior, it is about peace and harmony only. That is what Laozi advocates in the TTC. That is the cultivation of Xing and self discipline and mindset for good behavior.

Yes, that’s right of course. The balancing of the Yin & Yang, that’s done internally. It has to be learned by diligent cultivation. And the external behaviour has to be harmonious. That’s what I too understand Laozi saying in the DDJ.

Edited by Cobie
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, NaturaNaturans said:

… the mandate of heaven …

It was created by the Zhou to justify their takeover from the Shang. 

Edited by Cobie
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cobie said:

It was created by the Zhou to justify their takeover from the Shang. 

I read a tiny bit on Confucious yesterday. Is this accurate, and do chinese tend to subscribe to it?

5. The Family and the State

Early Zhou political philosophy as represented in the Classic of Odes and the Classic of Documentscentered on moral justification for political authority based on the doctrine of the "Mandate of Heaven" (tianming 天命). This view was that the sage's virtue (de) attracted the attention of the anthropomorphized cosmic power usually translated as "Heaven" (tian天), which supported the sage's rise to political authority. These canonical texts argued that political success or failure is a function of moral quality, evidenced by actions such as proper ritual performance, on the part of the ruler. Confucius drew on these classics and adapted the classical view of moral authority in important ways, connecting it to a normative picture of society. Positing a parallel between the nature of reciprocal responsibilities of individuals in different roles in two domains of social organization, in the Analects Confucius linked filial piety in the family to loyalty in the political realm:

It is rare for a person who is filially pious to his parents and older siblings to be inclined to rebel against his superiors… Filial piety to parents and elder siblings may be considered the root of a person. (1.2)

This section examines Confucius's social and political philosophy, beginning with the central role of his analysis of the traditional norm of filial piety.

Confucius (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

35 minutes ago, NaturaNaturans said:

I read a tiny bit on Confucious yesterday. Is this accurate, and do chinese tend to subscribe to it?

@Taoist Texts is a Confucianist, he will know more about it than me.

… political success or failure is a function of moral quality …

That’s why 天命 is useful and why it was kept: a bad ruler may be chucked out.

Edited by Cobie
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NaturaNaturans said:

Can anyone explain the mandate of heaven to me?

Mandate of Heaven(天命) is something that was meant to be happened but uncontrollable by human. Such as lightning, raining, storm, flooding and fire. Also, the misfortune in human life.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

16 minutes ago, ChiDragon said:

Mandate of Heaven(天命) is something that was meant to be happened but uncontrollable by human. Such lightning, raining, storm, flooding and fire. Also, the misfortune in human life.

Yes, this too.

10 hours ago, NaturaNaturans said:

Haha yess, and blessed are tho who giveth to the temple. The gods will reward thy manifold. 

Good , I need a new one

the-old-rusty-motorcycle-HG3GDM.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=e84f72d8a6be09537d04103beb601ac11b8634cfe65452c5c36c9e5181e83dba&ipo=images

5 hours ago, ChiDragon said:

Hahaha

Taobums come and go but ChiDragon are forever after three bans and still here.

Peace on earth!

Three bans !   Wow .

Did you ever come back from a 'perma-ban'  ? 

Thats a good trick  ;) 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nungali said:

Three bans !   Wow .

Did you ever come back from a 'perma-ban'  ? 

Thats a good trick  ;) 

Yes, actually it was four times. The last three times were perma~ban.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Wow 1

7 hours ago, ChiDragon said:

Yes, actually it was four times. The last three times were perma~ban.

Wow !  I;m impressed ! 

You must be really terrible  !

• Haha 1

.. and to think I have never awarded you a .....

29c7edfb6df189e313354fb3423ce333.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/12/2024 at 4:20 PM, -ꦥꦏ꧀ ꦱꦠꦿꦶꦪꦺꦴ- said:

E58FE31D-4671-4C5A-9C2D-1EFEC7130575.thumb.jpeg.d75bffd181d4b37d7193268504570ea8.jpeg

You see what I meant. Members had already taken advantage of using this feature to create unpleasant feelings among ourselves. IMHO I don't think a Taoist forum should provide an opportunitie for members to have this kind behavior.

Peace!

1 hour ago, ChiDragon said:

You see what I meant. Members had already taken advantage of using this feature to create unpleasant feelings among ourselves. IMHO I don't think a Taoist forum should provide an opportunitie for members to have this kind behavior.

Peace!

Sorry to court controversy, but I agree with @ChiDragon here. I'd rather we not have the down vote

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

16 hours ago, ChiDragon said:

Mandate of Heaven(天命) is something that was meant to be happened but uncontrollable by human. Such as lightning, raining, storm, flooding and fire. Also, the misfortune in human life.

No.

What you cited is in the category "acts of god," a legal term insurance companies use for things they specify in their coverage as covered or not by this particular insurance.

Whereas Mandate of Heaven is a concept of monarchic civilizations, expressed in the case of the Chinese one via this particular wording, which posits that the supreme ruler's power is given from above, that an emperor is an emperor because his authority is granted by Heaven, rather than by the people (as in, e.g., a "democracy") or by any earthly decree, authority, or institution.   ( @Cobie -- in the case you cited, Zhou taking power from Shang, their justification was that Shang "lost the mandate of Heaven" due to excessive tyrannical cruelty, but the concept existed before that.  It comes hand in hand with establishing a monarchy -- the monarch's authority is always interpreted as granted from above, in a somewhat circular logic: if he has this kind of power, only Heaven could have given it.)     

@ChiDragon:  now you see the utility of the downvote arrow?  I could have limited my response to just using that instead of refuting your assertion.  But now I've used both -- the arrow to show disagreement with your assertion, and the explanation to justify the arrow.  Would you prefer I use just one?  Which one?  The disagreement with your misleading statement won't go away even if I use neither.  Am I under obligation to safeguard your misconceptions in order to spare you aggravation?  But what about mine?  Misconceptions aggravate me...  :D   

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ChiDragon said:

IMHO I don't think a Taoist forum should provide an opportunitie for members to have this kind behavior.

See, you started adding "IMHO" to your posts—that shows that it is your opinion. I love that. Looks like the downvote feature is working...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, dwai said:

See, you started adding "IMHO" to your posts—that shows that it is your opinion. I love that. Looks like the downvote feature is working...

Seems like it's not going away. This is not my MHO.

3 minutes ago, ChiDragon said:

Seems like it's not going away. This is not my MHO.

Nope. It's not going away. It is best to learn to live with it and control our prose appropriately based on community feedback (if you see more downvotes, it's time for course correction). 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1