ChiDragon

The Downvote Feature!

Just now, ChiDragon said:

I only see three members are in favor of it. The majority is not.

You are welcome not to post anything if it bothers you so much. 

2 hours ago, dwai said:

You are welcome not to post anything if it bothers you so much. 

Ofc Now I see why the new members singed up and gone forever with this kind of encouragement.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChiDragon said:

Ofc Now I see why the new members singed and gone forever with this kind of encouragement.

IMHO, a handful of noisy members are the root cause for that. Often, these members try to pass off their opinions as fact and complain if there's a mechanism for other members to show their disapproval without expending too much energy. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, dwai said:

IMHO, a handful of noisy members are the root cause for that. Often, these members try to pass off their opinions as fact and complain if there's a mechanism for other members to show their disapproval without expending too much energy. 

Somebody don't even bother to do some fact checks before defying it. How can one deny the facts without any knowledge of it and assumed it was an opinion. For example, isn't cell respiration a modern truth.

15 minutes ago, ChiDragon said:

Somebody don't even bother to do some fact checks before defying it. How can one deny the facts without any knowledge of it and assumed it was an opinion. For example, isn't cell respiration a modern truth.

I dont follow brother

On 13/10/2024 at 1:40 AM, Nungali said:

Heaven and earth are not Good
They treat the thousands of things like straw dogs.
The Wise Person is not Good
He treats the hundred clans like straw dogs.

But does it say that? This is my interpretation of the characters.

天 地 不 仁 

萬 物 芻 狗  

聖 人 不 仁 

百 姓 芻狗 

Nature is not humane,

all bodies disposable;

the Emperor is not humane,

all people disposable.

~~~
The First Part of DDJ Ch 5 is not in the Guodian. Chars MWD A:

天 地 不 仁  tian1 di4 bu4 ren2 

以 萬 物 為 芻 狗  yi3 wan4 wu4 wei2 chu2 gou3 

聖 人 不 仁   sheng4 ren2 bu4 ren2 

以 百 姓 為 芻 狗  yi3 bai3 xing4 wei2 chu2 gou3 

Edited by Cobie
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, ChiDragon said:

Mate you said qi = oxygen, I don’t think you can talk about fact checking 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, -ꦥꦏ꧀ ꦱꦠꦿꦶꦪꦺꦴ- said:

… qi = oxygen …

The traditional character for ‘qi’ is 氣 . The character has 2 components:

气 qi4 - air

米 mi3 - rice

气 + 米 —> 氣 

air + rice —> qi 

oxygen  + food  —> energy

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

11 minutes ago, -ꦥꦏ꧀ ꦱꦠꦿꦶꦪꦺꦴ- said:

… about fact checking 

Terms get used by different people in different ways. Imo best to respect other people’s ideas even when they go against your own ideas about ‘facts’ and ‘checking’. Sometimes it’s best to stick to your own teacher and path, and just ignore the people that are on an entirely different path. Peace. 

Edited by Cobie
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Cobie said:

But does it say that? This is my interpretation of the characters.

天 地 不 仁 

萬 物 芻 狗  

聖 人 不 仁 

百 姓 芻狗 

Chapter 5
1.天地不仁,
2.以萬物為芻狗。
3.聖人不仁,
4.以百姓為芻狗。
5.天地之間,
6.其猶橐籥乎﹖
7.虛而不屈,
8.動而愈出。
9.多言數窮,
10.不如守中。

Chapter 5 In terse English
01. Sky and Earth have no mercy,
02. Treating all things as straw dogs.
03. Sages have no mercy,
04. Treating people as straw dogs.
05. In-between-Heaven-and-Earth
06. Is like a wind box,
07. Vacuous but inexhaustible,
08. Dynamic but invigorating.
09. Excessive words accelerate failure.
10. Prefer to stay being neutral.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ChiDragon said:

09. Excessive words accelerate failure.

Another reason for the downvote feature (no words required)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, dwai said:

Another reason for the downvote feature (no words required)

A picture is worth a thousand words but hatred without words.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, ChiDragon said:

You see what I meant. Members had already taken advantage of using this feature to create unpleasant feelings among ourselves. IMHO I don't think a Taoist forum should provide an opportunitie for members to have this kind behavior.

Peace!

Not unpleasnat amongst OURSELVES

I saw it as a joke .

Ya know,  one of the functions of DBs ... sometimes ... might be  'get knocked off ones perch ' 

... wind the ego in a bit of those that think they know everything about a particular something .

Of course, that sort is bound to take offense !

• Downvote 1

10 hours ago, Miffymog said:

Sorry to court controversy, but I agree with @ChiDragon here. I'd rather we not have the down vote

How about we replace it with this  ?   ....

29c7edfb6df189e313354fb3423ce333.gif&key=cb3ed0bb9cfa287e103f1ed1fe68d3069d9a0f04f26cc274ec724f78cbb0cbb1

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Taomeow said:

No.

What you cited is in the category "acts of god," a legal term insurance companies use for things they specify in their coverage as covered or not by this particular insurance.

Whereas Mandate of Heaven is a concept of monarchic civilizations, expressed in the case of the Chinese one via this particular wording, which posits that the supreme ruler's power is given from above, that an emperor is an emperor because his authority is granted by Heaven, rather than by the people (as in, e.g., a "democracy") or by any earthly decree, authority, or institution.   ( @Cobie -- in the case you cited, Zhou taking power from Shang, their justification was that Shang "lost the mandate of Heaven" due to excessive tyrannical cruelty, but the concept existed before that.  It comes hand in hand with establishing a monarchy -- the monarch's authority is always interpreted as granted from above, in a somewhat circular logic: if he has this kind of power, only Heaven could have given it.)     

@ChiDragon:  now you see the utility of the downvote arrow?  I could have limited my response to just using that instead of refuting your assertion.  But now I've used both -- the arrow to show disagreement with your assertion, and the explanation to justify the arrow.  Would you prefer I use just one?  Which one?  The disagreement with your misleading statement won't go away even if I use neither.  Am I under obligation to safeguard your misconceptions in order to spare you aggravation?  But what about mine?  Misconceptions aggravate me...  :D   

Thank you , thats how I see it too .  A friend of mine got one  ( a mandate from heaven )   .  he took a name which means 'great leader'  amongst his people . They sure needed one ... but they rejected his vision , and him . That was very sad, for them and his people . 

He taught and led a rainbow serpent dance with 300 people in it at one of our festivals years back ... it was absolutely awesome  !  I never done or seen anything else like that before or since . He was one of the few that 'stepped up' after the 'old Uncles' died .  he should have been a 'treasure' .

So he went away , traveled  , met other  people , worked with them , received acclaim , gets invited to all sorts of conferences across Australia , then OS .  he even got paid flights and trip to America courtesy of Navajo nation  to attend international indigenous conference . came back with his tribal stuff on plus huge chunks of silver and turquoise  (indigenous bling  :) )   etc .  Now he is all over the place , busy ,  doent even live in this area any more  .. a great loss  , well, to 'us' not to the world at large .

I dont believe any of that would have happened  from a purely human 'mandate '  .  He knew his True Will ' what his purpose was .... that doesnt mean he will be accepted though .

''  ...

2. Thou then, who hast trials and troubles, rejoice because of them, for in them is Strength, and by their means is a pathway opened unto that Light.

3. How should it be otherwise, O man, whose life is but a day in Eternity, a drop in the Ocean of time; how, were thy trials not many, couldst thou purge thy soul from the dross of earth?
Is it but now that the Higher Life is beset with dangers and difficulties; hath it not ever been so with the Sages and Hierophants of the past? They have been persecuted and reviled, they have been tormented of men; yet through this also has their Glory increased. ..."

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I see that it is still a popularity contest here at the old folks community with incredibly biased moderators!

• Haha 3
  • Downvote 3