ChiDragon

The Downvote Feature!

Question?
Is the new Downvote feature really necessary for a Taoist environment? IMHO I think it creates a hostile environment among the TDB members!

• Like 4
  • Downvote 5

1 minute ago, salaam123 said:

Its better to use that than the laugh icon

If that is the case, then, both icons should be removed to avoid hostility among members. That is the Taoist philosophy of Wu Wei, 無為. Since this is a Taoist site, lets encourage the members to practice the Taoist behavior.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NaturaNaturans said:

Isnt taoism about the ☯️ tho?

Taoism is about peace and harmony. Whether someone likes it or not, just let it be without any adverse effect on either side of the party. Let nature take its course without interruption. 

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChiDragon said:

Taoism is about peace and harmony. Whether someone likes it or not, just let it be without any adverse effect on either side of the party. Let nature take its course without interruption. 

Is it also not about how light implies dark, and visa versa?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NaturaNaturans said:

Is it also not about how light implies dark, and visa versa?

Yes, that is applied to the things, in general, with the yin-yang concept in Yijing. However, when it was applied to human behavior, it is about peace and harmony only. That is what Laozi advocates in the TTC. That is the cultivation of Xing and self discipline and mindset for good behavior.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, ChiDragon said:

Yes, that is applied to the things, in general, with the yin-yang concept in Yijing. However, when it was applied to human behavior, it is about peace and harmony only. That is what Laozi advocates in the TTC.

So where do you hide away your more animalistic tendencies?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, NaturaNaturans said:

So where do you hide away your more animalistic tendencies?

Well, It's all in the heart. 
Is there a need to show one's anger?

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Thanks 2

As for me, I've only downvoted one post so far.  One of yours.

In order to avoid it in the future, I would humbly suggest that when you write your opinions on taoism, taoist practices, taoist ideology, etc., you do one of the following:

1. Either preface what you write, which constitutes only your personal opinion,  with this all-important disclaimer:  "IN MY OPINION."   

or

2. If you are relying on someone else's opinion, name the person, source, document, anything it's derived from.  

You often choose t speak in an authoritative voice about things for which some of us have a diametrically opposite authority to rely on, on top of many years of study and practice and communication with serious teachers.  It doesn't hurt a seasoned taoist to read your opinion presented as some ultimate truth -- she might just shake her head in disagreement and move on.  But I do believe it may hurt beginners, newcomers, people who are just beginning to learn, when your opinion is presented as a carved-in-stone taoist truth.  That's what my downvote (only one so far, but not the first time I felt I needed that button) was about.  Obviously I could argue point by point instead, but I've neither the time nor the patience for that.  So, please give some thought to my advice above, and at least with me you'll be safe from that dreadful down-pointing arrow.   

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ChiDragon said:

Well, is there a need to show one's anger?

When I was a child, my mother used to tell me that we have a troll in our stomach. When we ignore it, it grows and grows. But when you recognize it, it explodes. Sun (truth) turns the troll (chaos) to stone (kills it).

4 hours ago, ChiDragon said:

Question?
Is the new Downvote feature really necessary for a Taoist environment? IMHO I think it creates a hostile environment among the TDB members!

When the downvote reaction first came out, I was ready to downvote it.  Too divisive, I thought, too hostile.  But then Apech brilliantly and hillariously started a thread where we could compete for the most downvotes -- and I started to take it all less seriously. (@Taomeow claimed she´d be a shoein for the win, although the potential post might harm her social credit. Alas,  I never saw the post and the moment has likely passed.) As it turns out, I haven´t seen the downvote option being used much in a malicious way.  If you think I´m wrong, go ahead and downvote this post and maybe I´ll change my mind.  ^_^

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NaturaNaturans said:

When I was a child, my mother used to tell me that we have a troll in our stomach.

Now, a child becomes an adult. Unfortunately, perhaps it is a necessity to do some cultivation to subdue our childish behavior.

• Wow 1

Now, a child becomes an adult. Unfortunately, perhaps it is a necessity to do some cultivation to subdue our childish behavior.

I think this is a clash of culture. Here were i live, not being able to speak ones mind, be honest, protect people and fight back is considered weakness, not virtue. Isnt it curious that some philosopher dont want you to ve rebelious? A little too convenient?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

As it turns out, I haven´t seen the downvote option being used much in a malicious way.

Well, IMHO. It was a very hostile behavior just with a tap on the icon. It generates a hidden uncomfortable feeling between two members.

Just now, ChiDragon said:

Well, IMHO. It was a very hostile behavior just with a tap on the icon. It generates a hidden uncomfortable feeling between two members.

Yeah maybe. Putting a led on your truth does as well, imo

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NaturaNaturans said:

I think this is a clash of culture.

Yes, it is. We do have a clash of culture in TDB. People come to study Taoism but not accepting the idealism of Taoism.

• Like 1

Just now, ChiDragon said:

Yes, it is. We do have a clash of culture in TDB. People come to study Taoism but not accepting the idealism of Taoism.

I am open minded. I just like to make up my own opinion as well. Dont expect me to take every word you say as gospel.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NaturaNaturans said:

Dont expect me to take every word you say as gospel.

Please don't! I am only following the principles of the TTC. That's all.

Edited by ChiDragon

Please don't! I am only following the principles of the TTC. That's all.

And thats fine. Personally, I do mot follow any doctrine as of yet. I pick and mix.

• Like 1

I think that positive, non-personal debate, and if needed, the moderator of this site or silence, are better options than stirring up personal animosities. Negative triggers is why I left this site for over two years. 

Edited by moment
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ChiDragon said:

ChiDragon --

For many years now, perhaps well over a decade, your opinions have been provoking strong reactions.  Surely this fact isn´t lost on you?  You´re the quintessential controversial character.  The controversy that surrounds you has existed well before the advent of the downvote button and -- barring bad luck or some sort of unusually potent transformation -- will exist well after the downvote button is no more.  Taobums policies come and go but ChiDragons are forever.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1