Starkadr

why so serious?

Is it possible to reach enlightenment/the end goal of your path (whatever that is) while being happy?

When I was younger I was extremely devout to my practices, and I feel a reason for this was my frustration with the world beyond my control. My feeling of helplessness expressed itself in my dedication to asceticism and martial arts. I had will power but it was fueled by my anger.

Only after giving up was I able to become happy. And now I have positive reasons to become someone new, to find a better path. But are positive reasons enough?

My question is this: is discontent and anger a necessary impetus on your path? Or do sages get to laugh before they are sages?

• Like 1

Idk. But there’s Budai, the laughing Buddha (that’s not Gautama Buddha).

Edited by Cobie

“I would really allow myself to order the ranks of philosophers according to the rank of their laughter – right up to those who are capable of golden laughter. And assuming that the gods also practise philosophy, a fact which many conclusions have already driven me to – I don’t doubt that in the process they know how to laugh in a superhuman and new way – and at the expense of all serious things! Gods delight in making fun: even where sacred actions are concerned, it seems they cannot stop laughing.”

(Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil p. 294)

he is the greatest philosophef IMO. Not that ive read many others. He liked buddhism, but ultimateley rejected it for being Life denying instead of Life affirming.

Just now, Starkadr said:

Is it possible to reach enlightenment/the end goal of your path (whatever that is) while being happy?

When I was younger I was extremely devout to my practices, and I feel a reason for this was my frustration with the world beyond my control. My feeling of helplessness expressed itself in my dedication to asceticism and martial arts. I had will power but it was fueled by my anger.

Only after giving up was I able to become happy. And now I have positive reasons to become someone new, to find a better path. But are positive reasons enough?

My question is this: is discontent and anger a necessary impetus on your path? Or do sages get to laugh before they are sages?

Hi Starkadr!, welcome to TDB!

Just being happy is not possible to reach enlightenment. It takes alot more than that. However, when you reach the end goal of your path may make you happy! ;)

Will power fueled with anger is the worse thing to your health. I am glad that you had snapped out of it.

You have positive reasons to become someone new is good news. The positive reasons are good enough to get you started!

Even sages had to go through discontent and anger but not necessary get to laugh before they are sages! Sages are human too, they also have to go through life like the rest of us too.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

Do not find much benefit in seriousness, or somber pursuit in most situations of life, work and cultivation.

Whereas sincerity is paramount. One may sincerely engage in any pursuit without being mired in serious and heavy somber attitude.

Sincerely engaging in cultivation engenders diligence without decaying vitality and a light bouyant heart endures trouble with greater ease.  Nor does the path require somberness, or heavy seriousness in my experience.  The most adroit of my teachers each embodied a playfulness that belied and utilized incredible skill with and piercing precision, effect and presence.

I have found playfulness to be one of the hallmarks of high accomplishment, particularly in the more intense of pursuits in work and life.  The skill required to make an engaging, playful endeavor from what might otherwise mire one in boredom or lead to a loss of drive seems a mark of sincerity of xing and keenness of ming. 

I say, let seriousness arise where and when appropriate, but do not overly concern about it. 

But guard presence with sincerity in all matters, especially the smallest of details.  For all of the greatest things in life, are comprised of the smallest.  Tend to the small and the great will settle themselves, tzujan.

Welcome to The Bums Starkadr.

Edited by silent thunder
wording
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Starkadr said:

Is it possible to reach enlightenment/the end goal of your path 

You are already getting up from the wrong side of the bed. 

There is no goal, only an understanding of what you really are and being aware of the changing nature of reality due to the subtle influence of universal laws.

I'd start the path by looking at:

Let's build a SOLID and STRONG FOUNDATION in my practice aka GROUNDING.