Lukks

Falun Dafa/Falun Gong

Hello everyone!

What are your thoughts on Falun Gong or Falun Dafa? Anyone here practice or practiced it in the past? Good results?

It showed up to me on instagram earlier today, I decided to take a overall look at it and it seems very complete, with static postures, moving postures and meditation, seems like a complete system.

I would like to hear what you think about it :) 

1 hour ago, -ꦥꦏ꧀ ꦱꦠꦿꦶꦪꦺꦴ- said:

It is definitely a weird cult. But I have heard that their practices actually work.

Sounds like TM.

I wonder if there are (or will be) groups that split off and do the method without all the weirdness, as happened with TM.

• Like 1

To EFreethought: your label of TM as weird sounds like something based without any direct experience of the TM program. I have been doing TM daily for the past 51 years and I also spent one year training as a TM teacher. I am unaware of any weirdness involved in the practice of TM, I am only aware of the benefits that I have experienced. I  also worked directly for awhile for the TM organization. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, -ꦥꦏ꧀ ꦱꦠꦿꦶꦪꦺꦴ- said:

It is definitely a weird cult. But I have heard that their practices actually work. 

Agreed. I was searching and found an old thread named "Potent systems" from some years ago and there's some information on this system there, good info.

I just don't get the part where you need to practice ONLY Falun Dafa.

What exactly this means, I understand that Spring Forest Qigong can be understood as a different system so if I learn Falun Dafa I should stop it, but what about LDT meditation? I don't think it's part of a system, it's actually in a lot of systems, so can I still do it while I do Falun Dafa?

@Lukks

FYI LDT meditation is in all the Qigong systems. The only difference is in the name of the style. Your body works the same way. There is no exception in Falun Gong.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChiDragon said:

FYI LDT meditation is in all the Qigong systems. The only difference is in the name of the style. Your body works the same way. There is no exception in Falun Gong.

Yes, Falun Gong installs a wheel on the LDT, but Idk if that's the same thing as filling the LDT, so it also works to fill the LDT just like other systems?

1 hour ago, Lukks said:

Yes, Falun Gong installs a wheel on the LDT, but Idk if that's the same thing as filling the LDT, so it also works to fill the LDT just like other systems?

Let me put it this way. You go to MacDonald's to buy a chicken MacNugget. You are really buying chicken nugget. It is called MacNugget is because MacDonald's was selling it.

In Falun Gong, Falun(法輪) means the wheel of Buddha's law. Since they are selling Qigong, thus they claimed such by putting an imaginary wheel into LDT to fool the public. For those who don't know better just took it for granted! Anyway, the principle of Qigong is to learn or practice to breathe to the best possible way for the body. It is none of the BS about absorbing energy from the universe.

If you stick with the definition: Qigong is about breathing deep down to the LDT, then you should not have any confusion about Qigong. No matter what they call it. For example, Cheng Man Ching(鄭曼青) learned Taiji from the Yang family. He called the Yang style as Cheng Man Ching Taiji. However, it is still the Yang style. What I am saying was that the only difference is all in the names and descriptions. The method doesn't change. It will give you the same result. It is because the human body works the same way. We all breathing same way. It doesn't matter what you call it abdominal breathing, dantian breathing, embryo breathing, skin breathing, pulmonary breathing, fetus breathing, diaphragm breathing, turtle breathing or ChiDragon breathing. They are all the same but differ in name.

The reason Falun Gong was forbidden in China is because it have a larger number of practitioners. At the begin, one practitioner saw a big park in Beijing and realized it is good to practice LDT meditation or Falun Gong. Therefore, he made a few phone calls, within an hour or so more than 10000 member showed up in the park. Hence, that government saw that they have such of assembly power in  a short time. It was a big thread to the government. That was why it is forbidden in China.

Peace!

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

16 hours ago, ChiDragon said:

Let me put it this way. You go to MacDonald's to buy a chicken MacNugget. You are really buying chicken nugget. It is called MacNugget is because MacDonald's was selling it.

In Falun Gong, Falun(法輪) means the wheel of Buddha's law. Since they are selling Qigong, thus they claimed such by putting an imaginary wheel into LDT to fool the public. For those who don't know better just took it for granted! Anyway, the principle of Qigong is to learn or practice to breathe to the best possible way for the body. It is none of the BS about absorbing energy from the universe.

If you stick with the definition: Qigong is about breathing deep down to the LDT, then you should not have any confusion about Qigong. No matter what they call it. For example, Cheng Man Ching(鄭曼青) learned Taiji from the Yang family. He called the Yang style as Cheng Man Ching Taiji. However, it is still the Yang style. What I am saying was that the only difference is all in the names and descriptions. The method doesn't change. It will give you the same result. It is because the human body works the same way. We all breathing same way. It doesn't matter what you call it abdominal breathing, dantian breathing, embryo breathing, skin breathing, pulmonary breathing, fetus breathing, diaphragm breathing, turtle breathing or ChiDragon breathing. They are all the same but differ in name.

The reason Falun Gong was forbidden in China is because it have a larger number of practitioners. At the begin, one practitioner saw a big park in Beijing and realized it is good to practice LDT meditation or Falun Gong. Therefore, he made a few phone calls, within an hour or so more than 10000 member showed up in the park. Hence, that government saw that they have such of assembly power in  a short time. It was a big thread to the government. That was why it is forbidden in China.

Peace!

It’s my understanding that Qi gong is not a an air/breath practice. Qi is not the air/breath. Qi has a specific physical reality that arises and manifests separately from the air/breath and feels and behaves  differently than the air/breath. Qi does not require involvement of the air/breath to mobilize or move. It’s not limited where it is in the body like the air/breath is, it goes everywhere. Qi doesn’t  even care about the acupuncture channels. Though it often uses these channels, qi sometimes moves through the body without any regard to them filling and pressurizing any available space. 

It’s mostly moved by the position of the hands in qi gong once Lao gong is open and the Dan tian is forming. In that way it can be quite specifically compliant to directions you give with your body/hands (but not mind). It’s influenced by the mind with a different mechanism. Qi moves/sinks/rises/expands/contracts when awareness touches the  places where it resides, mixes with it and the mind relaxes/releases tension without providing specific instructions/governance. Reverse breathing can be used to help open and close the Dan tian to influence the circulation of qi but it’s not air/breath that is circulated, its qi that circulates. Once the Dan tian reaches a level of development it opens and closes on its own circulating the qi without involvement or any linkage at all to the air/breath. This dan tian opening/closing on its own  is not metaphorical, it’s has a physical component that moves the flesh in shared reality. When this arises, it doesn’t care what you believe or what you expect or what your opinion is, it just does its thing and you just “listen”. 

I think someone somewhere once  translated qi in a metaphorical/poetical way as “the breath of heaven or breath of the Dao” or something like that and that translation stuck because people translating it had never directly experienced qi. However once you’ve directly worked with qi, the early Daoist references to inner cultivation make much more sense and there is no need to translate qi, it’s just qi. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Sahaja said:

It’s my understanding that Qi gong is not a an air/breath practice. Qi is not the air/breath. Qi has a specific physical reality that arises and manifests separately from the air/breath and feels and behaves  differently than the air/breath. Qi does not require involvement of the air/breath to mobilize or move. It’s not limited where it is in the body like the air/breath is, it goes everywhere. Qi doesn’t  even care about the acupuncture channels. Though it often uses these channels, qi sometimes moves through the body without any regard to them filling and pressurizing any available space. 

It’s mostly moved by the position of the hands in qi gong once Lao gong is open and the Dan tian is forming. In that way it can be quite specifically compliant to directions you give with your body/hands (but not mind). It’s influenced by the mind with a different mechanism. Qi moves/sinks/rises/expands/contracts when awareness touches the  places where it resides, mixes with it and the mind relaxes/releases tension without providing specific instructions/governance. Reverse breathing can be used to help open and close the Dan tian to influence the circulation of qi but it’s not air/breath that is circulated, its qi that circulates. Once the Dan tian reaches a level of development it opens and closes on its own circulating the qi without involvement or any linkage at all to the air/breath. This dan tian opening/closing on its own  is not metaphorical, it’s has a physical component that moves the flesh in shared reality. When this arises, it doesn’t care what you believe or what you expect or what your opinion is, it just does its thing and you just “listen”. 

I think someone somewhere once  translated qi in a metaphorical/poetical way as “the breath of heaven or breath of the Dao” or something like that and that translation stuck because people translating it had never directly experienced qi. However once you’ve directly worked with qi, the early Daoist references to inner cultivation make much more sense and there is no need to translate qi, it’s just qi. 

No need to explain, just downvote 

• Haha 1

Just now, Sahaja said:

It’s my understanding that Qi gong is not a an air/breath practice.

The first thing that comes into the mind, one cannot change so quickly. That is OK. Everyone has a definition about Chi. Actually, we really don't need to know how the practicing system works as long it works. That is fine. May I ask do you practice any form of Qigong at all?

• Like 1

Just now, ChiDragon said:

The first thing that comes into the mind, one cannot change so quickly. That is OK. Everyone has a definition about Chi. Actually, we really don't need to know how the practicing system works as long it works. That is fine. May I ask do you practice any form of Qigong at all?

Yes I do.  When I write something I try to limit it to what I believe is public and what I have experience with. I try to focus on the commonalities between different, unrelated teachers I’ve had .  I also know that I am still learning and what I know in the future will be different from today.  What I learned two years ago that I practice today manifests very differently.  It’s a tricky path to write about  but a good discipline to follow.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Sahaja said:

I also know that I am still learning and what I know in the future will be different from today.  What I learned two years ago that I practice today manifests very differently.  It’s a tricky path to write about  but a good discipline to follow.  

It sounds great with your scholarly attitude. Self discipline is important in the cultivation of mind and body. We need to learn from each other through communication. I just have a different approach. Even though we learned many things, some of the sources might not be all correct. Therefore, I go to other places for my answers.

I like to learn from all source with an open mind. I can learn something from a teacher, a friend , internet, and books. If there is a discrepancy,  as you said focus on the commonalities of things to get to the bottom of the truth. That is exactly what I am doing.  I know stagnation of knowledge in the mind will not make progress. 

海闊天空
The sky is the limit

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 3

Beware of the several above comments which are based on opinions instead of experience doing Falun Gong. All qigong is not the same. All questions about Falun Gong and why not to do it with other forms of qigong are discussed by the master in his books. You are dealing with frequencies, signals which effect body parts. Different qigong methods produce different patterns of frequencies/vibrations which effect the body. So combining different methods sends mixed messages to the body and this can negate benefits. The master also states that this  advice does not just apply to Falun Gong. He warns against combining any different qigong methods for the same reason. Mixed signals. The only way to know about Falun Qigong is to read the text and also learn the  method. You will then soon realize there is no imaginary Dharma Wheel, or Law Wheel. It is totally tangible when you feel it being installed inside of you. I am extremely insensitive to almost any type of energy work. Yet I strongly felt the Falun Wheel being installed in my solar plexus region shortly after being taught Falun Dafa. My best friend also experienced the Falun Wheel swinging over his head soon after he learned Falun Gong. My esteemed medical clairvoyant later saw the Falun Wheel inside of me and described what it looked like accurately even though he had never seen any picture of a Falun Wheel. Because the wheel generates Qi 24/7, and also removes bad Qi, what would be the purpose of adding any other qigong method? You do Falun Dafa to energize the wheel which then does the work as if you were performing qigong 24/7. So it is in a league of its own compared to any other qigong method. I did not continue doing Falun Dafa mainly because the postures and movements are not enjoyable. On every blog people offer opinions, and often it is without having accurate information about the subject at hand. Wisdom, on the other hand, is based on knowledge plus direct experience. Quite a difference. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yes it’s my understanding that different systems work differently and it’s possible that two systems may not work together very well, or even offset one another. However, I’m skeptical when I hear teachers using fear to make their system seem special or special external energies to make their program unique. It’s a red flag for me. 

• Like 3