I’d like to start an open discussion about Taiwan. Generally really.

Have you visited or lived there, what are some of your experiences?

Did you visit the east side of the Island where it is still more tribal?

Anything you can say about Martial Arts over there?

Any cool old stories about the distant past that spring to mind you could share? 

I’m aware there have been secret Taoist sects over there so I’m not really asking people about that, but it would be cool to know more about them if anyone thinks it’s appropriate to share…

Thankyou 🙏 

Edited by Thrice Daily

What would you like to know? May be about why China believes it belongs to them? Why it might be the cause for world war three?

• Like 1

Cool this is not about politics. This might “wet you’re whistle” as it were… The place deserves attention from us Bums I feel… 

It is way more Ancient and (quite likely sacred/fascinating) than we commonly know… 

Check it out, even the first 5 minutes will blow your mind!!!

Enjoy fellow Taoists 🙏

Re places to visit, 

Nankunshen Daitian Temple (南鯤鯓代天府) is located in Tainan, Taiwan. This Taoism temple is famous for its massive dragon sculptures and grand architecture, including this distinctive feature — a golden ball held by a dragon, I'll never forget that.

Nankunshen Daitian Temple is one of the oldest and most significant Taoist temples in Taiwan, dedicated to Wangye (王爺), a group of deities worshipped in the Southern Chinese folk aspect of Taoism. The temple complex features giant staircases that are a great climb and ornate dragon carvings, which symbolize protection and strength. The golden ball, often seen in such temples, represents power, prosperity, and celestial forces.

It's a major pilgrimage site this one, especially during festival times, and its spectacular design makes it one of the most iconic religious landmarks in Taiwan, I highly recommend it.

Green Island (綠島, Lǜ Dǎo) is a small volcanic island located off the eastern coast of Taiwan in the Pacific Ocean, part of Taitung County. This is a trip, I went with my Girlfriend around the Chinese New Year, I'll have to post part of the story later. It is known for its beautiful natural landscapes, rugged coastlines, hot springs, and rich history. When we arrived on boat, the green literally came out of the sea, it was like the hill that emerged from the water was covered in a bright green moss of sorts. I remember thinking, sure does live up to it's name... Here's a summary of Green Island's key features and historical significance:

Natural Beauty and Attractions

• Zhaori Hot Springs: One of the few saltwater hot springs in the world, the Zhaori Hot Springs is a major attraction for visitors. Its pools are located by the ocean, offering a unique experience where people can soak while watching the sunrise over the Pacific. 

• Diving and Snorkeling: Green Island is surrounded by coral reefs and clear waters, making it a popular spot for diving and snorkeling. The marine life around the island is abundant, with colorful coral, tropical fish, and sea turtles.

• Lighthouse and Trails: The Green Island Lighthouse, built by the Japanese during their occupation, is another notable landmark. There are also hiking trails around the island that allow visitors to explore its volcanic landscapes and scenic coastal views.

• Taoist Temples: Though small, Green Island also hosts traditional Taoist and folk religion temples. Like other parts of Taiwan, the religious practices here are rooted in a blend of Taoism, Buddhism, and folk beliefs.

Edited by Thrice Daily
  • Like 1

@ChiDragon what can you tell us (westerners) about the use of traditional Chinese [as a spoken language] amid its Mandarin off~spring?

(I understood the word for fire 🔥 was the same as the Stomach Spleen Pancreas, earth sound,

When I was living there in Taiwan ‘certain people’ spoke very differently, I wondered if you could shed some light for us (in your own unique and often profound way :) )

I had a dig Taiwanese Hokkien (or just Taiwanese) is super popular and spoken by a lot of the older crowd, especially outside of the big cities, it is quite distinct from Mandarin.

Then, you’ve got the Hakka dialect, which is spoken by the Hakka people. It's got its own unique vibe and is mostly found in specific areas like Miaoli and Hsinchu.

And let’s not forget about indigenous languages. Taiwan is home to 16 different recognised indigenous tribes, each with its own language. While you won’t hear them as much in the cities, they’re still an important part of Taiwan's cultural tapestry.

I had no Idea when I was there, Just thought there may be one extra. Incredible history this little Island has.

Edited by Thrice Daily
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, -ꦥꦏ꧀ ꦱꦠꦿꦶꦪꦺꦴ- said:

I like bubble tea and Din Tai Fung

God when I got there and initially recovered from the heat, it was October 2011. I went in search of a green tea. 

I’d purposely not even googled Taiwan or even looked at any pictures so the experience would be as raw as possible when I arrived.

In my naivety and the busy sprawl of inner city Taichung I imagined if I just keep looking, I’d find a nice Green Tea. Wow what a culture shock for me. No green tea, the Chinese signage , Mandarin written signs , peering out from the walls almost meeting in the centre of the long roads (lues), in an electric signed take away run by a couple of teenagers I managed to understand they had green tea. YES I thought, I got this… 

I ordered it and it and it was basically a flat soda in a medium sized plastic cup, just like Mcdonalds  , it was green but not like the green tea Inwas used to . It was more like green Coca Cola. 

I did eventually found some Traditional Chinese places of course.. but wow they were largely hidden from the hustle and bustle of modern life there. Full of camera-ed up Mercedes Benzes and swarms of mopeds. Gosh it was hot that October and with its sub-tropical brief rain showers too.

It was a totally vivid experience, worlds apart from all else I’d experienced.

I remember the first time I walked out of the apartment I was staying in, being careful to remember the roads I was walking down. The colours and the Chinese writing on the buildings was so bright. I returned with a watermelon and a bewildered expression on my face.

Edited by Thrice Daily
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, silent thunder said:

I would appreciate any input by folks with lived experience regarding the culture, food and music.

Me too Silent Thunder, I’m hoping some people on the forum have had experiences living their that they can share for us. 

I wished I’d stayed longer. I was there for 8-9 months or so. 

The people are so different there. I remember some right characters in the park half way up Dakeng mountain in Taichung.

And in the parks in general. Many people walking on circuit there exercising as they walked, swinging arms and legs all manner of ways. 

There would be groups of men gambling with strange games.

And there one one local group of women that would do a large outdoor dance class randomly in the park with an old silver ghetto blaster and an old 80’s America soundtrack , that was surreal. 

Taichi in the park in morning too, big group, all free just for health, lots of older folk mostly, sometimes monks too, that was awesome. I should have done more of that…

8 hours ago, Thrice Daily said:

@ChiDragon what can you tell us (westerners) about the use of traditional Chinese [as a spoken language] amid its Mandarin off~spring?

Mandarin has being known as the National dialect in China including Taiwan. It was spoken in Peking(Beijing) as the National dialect of China. Actually, it was Pekinese, 北京話, becomes the National dialect. The office name is 國語, national language, under the Nationalist(Taiwanese) rule. Since the Manchurian took over the Ming dynasty in Beijing and the majority of the people speaks Pekinese. In order for the Manchurian to rule the majority of the people, they have to learn the main culture and speak their language. Nowadays it was called Mandarin is because that is what the westerners called it. Actually, Mandarin means the people of Manchuria. In English it also means the Manchurian language. However, the Manchurian have their own dialect should be called Mandarin. Since the Han people took back China, the Manchurian has to hidden their identity and changed their names to the Han format. Hence, the Manchurian culture almost extincted.

The national language, 國語, has been known as 普通話(Common Language) in China. The Taiwanese uses the traditional Chinese characters and 普通話 uses simplified characters. Even though the 普通話 was unified in China but people still speaks it with an local accent. Sometimes, it is very difficult to understand. Just like you said in Taiwan! BTW China has 56 tribes or nationals. It has been said that China has 10 dialects. Each dialect has multi sub-dialects too.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Cobie said:

@Tommy Politics is only allowed in a special subforum, you can request access, here 

https://www.thedaobums.com/topic/52830-current-events-discussion/?do=findComment&comment=1034434   

Sorry, I wasn't really expecting this to turn into a political discussion.

11 hours ago, Tommy said:

What would you like to know? May be about why China believes it belongs to them? Why it might be the cause for world war three?

"Why China believes Taiwan belongs to them" is more about history. And "why it might spark world war three" was just a prediction of the future. 

@Cobie   Thanks for the advice.

9 hours ago, Thrice Daily said:

(I understood the word for fire 🔥 was the same as the Stomach Spleen Pancreas, earth sound,

I don't quite understand what you are saying here!

Here are the attributions of the organs
: Fire
: stomach (土)
脾:Spleen (土)

胰: pancreas (土)
: Earth sound

Edited by ChiDragon

23 hours ago, Thrice Daily said:

I’d like to start an open discussion about Taiwan. Generally really.

Have you visited or lived there, what are some of your experiences?

Did you visit the east side of the Island where it is still more tribal?

Anything you can say about Martial Arts over there?

Any cool old stories about the distant past that spring to mind you could share? 

I’m aware there have been secret Taoist sects over there so I’m not really asking people about that, but it would be cool to know more about them if anyone thinks it’s appropriate to share…

Thankyou 🙏 

Taiwan is a strange place in terms of religion.  There are 12,279 temples were dedicated to Taoism and Buddhism. There were 9,684 Taoist Temples, 2,317 Buddhist Temples, and 2,845 Christian Churches.   That means every 1500 persons has a temple/church which is quite high as Taiwan is not very rural.  Or every square Km, there is one temple.

Taoist vs Buddhist temples is in the ratio of 4 to 1.   But if you walk into any popular book stores, 95% or above are Buddhist books.  Taoist books are almost non-existent, though they can be found in some specialized bookstores.   Christian books are 10 times more than Taoist books, New Age books are popular too.

Cults, and cult-like religious organizations are said to be quite common.  But given the intense competition, they are not a big issue.

It is not easy to assess the market share of each major religions as different organizations have different definitions.    Roughly 50-60% of the population are under folk religions or non-believers (folk religions are frequently put under Taoism).  Both Taoist and Buddhist are around 15% ~.  Protestants 5%.  Others Yiguandao 2%, Catholics 1%.

I don't think there are many Taiwanese members active here.  

Edited by Master Logray
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Thrice Daily said:

No, I believe each word has a different character. But, you can put fire in front of the other words and change the meaning or becomes another word(?).

My parents are originally from Tai Shan China, moved to Hong Kong and then to New York. When I went to visit Tai Shan, I experienced the different languages due to locality. This made it quite an experience not knowing any Chinese or associated dialects. Met my wife there. She made things easier. Wished I had also visited Taiwan while I was in the area.

@Master Logray, that is a very interesting way to look at the culture thru the books and temples. Thanks.

15 hours ago, ChiDragon said:

I don't quite understand what you are saying here!

Here are the attributions of the organs
: Fire
: stomach (土)
脾:Spleen (土)

胰: pancreas (土)
: Earth sound

No I mean the actually sound I heard made as a spoken word sounded like “huuuu” and I knew that meant fire. 

the Earth sound in 6 sounds is ‘huuuu”

Just now, Thrice Daily said:

No I mean the actually sound I heard made as a spoken word sounded like “huuuu” and I knew that meant fire. 

the Earth sound in 6 sounds is ‘huuuu”

I thought that was what you meant!

火: hou doesn't seems to be close the sounds below.

它通過噓(xu)、呵(he)、呼(hu)、呬(si)、吹(chui)、嘻(xi)六個字的不同發音、口型,利用呼吸,充分調動臟腑的潛在自愈能力,以抵抗疾病侵襲,防止衰老。

練「六字訣」講究腹式呼吸,先呼後吸,呼氣時發音。

呼氣要緩慢、深長、均勻,以加大肺活量。同時,兩足開立,與肩同寬,頭正頸直,雙膝微屈,全身放鬆。

每個字念 6 遍,然後調息一次。

原文網址:https://kknews.cc/health/mpaeanz.html

It would be interesting what kind of clues there are in the Chinese writing for the six sounds to be honest. If relevant. Might be very interesting that as a mini project.

24 minutes ago, ChiDragon said:

噓(xu)、呵(he)、呼(hu)、呬(si)、吹(chui)、嘻(xi)

These are the six sounds.

6 minutes ago, Thrice Daily said:

It would be interesting what kind of clues there are in the Chinese writing for the six sounds to be honest. If relevant. Might be very interesting that as a mini project.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thrice Daily said:

Here is a different approach with the sounds of nature. It is suppose to be good for the soul and body. One may considered these six Tibetan sounds as a form of Qigong. Only, and if only, you believe in that breathing is a form of Qigong.

唵嘛呢叭咪吽

Om Ma Ni Pad Me Hum
The sounds are really coming out deep from the dantain(丹田).

Edited by ChiDragon