Pranaman

bruce lee for strength

Hi Pranaman again.

I used to do 0 pullups and was pretty sad sight. within 4 months I was up to 18 but never passed that before I stopped trying for more. Now I'm back to 10.

You can give this a go if you are keen. I can't comment on how well it would work vs other methods but here is from my experience.

from 0-4 pull ups I did push ups.

After 4 chin ups the number of pull ups did nothing to help. I think it may be one of those things where I needed the reverse set of muscles to balance the lats and biceps.

From 4 to 8 do as many chin ups you can. Initially, you'll be doing more chin ups (those with your palm facing you as you pull). This allows you to use more biceps to assist to get the numbers up.

up to 8 I hit a wall again no matter how many chin ups I did it seem to stagnate at 8. Now at this point, I changed to pull ups (palms facing away from you as you pull).

This pushed me to around 12 before I hit another wall.

From here on to 18, I stood leaning against the wall upside down doing press ups with whole body weight. Slowly try to stop using wall for assistance as it strengthens the core muscles.

I peaked at 18 and didn't continue doing anymore. My body weight was not sufficient to stimulate further growth.

At that point my body weight was 74kgs and I am 1.81m if that serves as a reference compared to your own body.

If you wish to continue pushing past that point, I can only suggest hanging weights as you do pull ups. This increases the load and shocks the muscles to grow.

However, as you are doing taiji exercises too, be mindful that you will always have to keep doing loosening exercises. I believe Chen style has got their own set of loosening warm ups that work from the head down. This is important as tense muscles do not make for good taiji or any taiji.

Enjoy your practice.