GrandTrinity

Ming Men

:)

Remember reading somewhere that the mingmen is perfect point to focus on when moving. Like walking...

It is better to focus on mingmen that LDT when moving. 

I think I also remember seeing that it can act as a collection point for all energies and is safe to receive then easily recycle if seemingly unhelpful etc.. 

I'm not sure where I read this , still I did it for years when our walking. I typically always chose to focus on this area, and it did feel like a collection point. Almost like a catcher sometimes. 

And always felt safe whatever was going on. I've always felt more grounded doing this...

I'm certainly interested to try opening this area, does anyone have any more tips beside this 11 minute meditation (and taping coins to it to increase sensation sensitivity :) )

2 hours ago, Thrice Daily said:

Remember reading somewhere that the mingmen is perfect point to focus on when moving. Like walking...

It is better to focus on mingmen that LDT when moving.

May I jump into this. My good friend!
Mingmen, 命門 is just an accupoint. It will do nothing while you are walking, either your are focusing on it or not.

What you should be focusing on is the meaning of "focus(意守)". For example, I focus on you chest while I am breathing. It simply means I am paying close attention to breathe down to my chest.

When I focus on my dantain while breathing. Thus my concentration is to breathe down to the abdomen.

My advice to you is to stick to the right definition. Then, nothing will go wrong in your understanding.

意守丹田: focus on the dantian

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, ChiDragon said:

May I jump into this. My good friend!
Mingmen, 命門 is just an accupoint. It will do nothing while you are walking, either your are focusing on it or not.

What you should be focusing on is the meaning of "focus(意守)". For example, I focus on you chest while I am breathing. It simply means I am paying close attention to breathe down to my chest.

When I focus on my dantain while breathing. Thus my concentration is to breathe down to the abdomen.

My advice to you is to stick to the right definition. Then, nothing will go wrong in your understanding.

意守丹田: focus on the dantian

My advice is different.

There are arts that view the mingmen as an area and use it to connect upper and lower among other things. Acupuncture points are for acupuncture but often the area in the vicinity of the point has similar functionality and is easier to use in the related self cultivation arts (e.g. laogong, yung quan, etc). This functionality can be lost when the points for acupuncture are overemphasized to the exclusion of the  areas surrounding them as happens with the proliferation of acupuncture charts. It’s often works better to use an area rather than a point and is less prone to over focus which can impede song (release)

.  Ayurveda marma points do a better job of integrating their medical functionality with the  South Asian cultivation practices  (martial arts and yoga)than acupuncture points as they are defined as both the point and the area. Marma point maps look quite similar to acupuncture maps (e.g. hrt in the palm connected to the heart vs laogong in the palm) though there are distinct differences as well.  While I don’t advocate mixing systems in cultivation, I do think a familiarity does give perspective and context. 

35 minutes ago, johndoe2012 said:

In a zen dojo they focused on ming men not LDT when in meditation. 

I wondered about it but it worked out fine. 

It will work anyway regardless how were you focused on!