Sign in to follow this  
joshu

Good Beginers Qigong?

I don't get it, why can't I practice both qigong and zazen? I see them as distinctly different and potentially complementary practices.

For the sakes of being direct... and attacking the issue your having straight on its always best to finish what you started (I learned and know this from failure to do so in the past). To continue Zazen until you have freed yourself from your suffering your facing right now... it may not be easy... but its the best... and most direct this way you don't need to start all over again practicing something new.

Your thinking right now is I pick up something new to compliment my Zazen to help out... while what i'm saying this is an indirect approach and it will most likely not actually help you deal with the situation... Although for physiological reasons, it may take your mind off the issue long enough for you to put lots of focus on another practice that makes you feel a certain way and you can claim it helped you... Although you still haven't actually fixed the issues that continue to arise in your Zazen meditation... You only found another way to deal with your every day life while doing two extra practices... by then you might have even gone so far to decide to drop Zazen all together... specially if the Qigong makes you feel really good.

Anyway... doing Zazen... and picking just any Qigong to supplement it I personally wouldn't recommend... There are certain ones that might go well with Zazen... (although still take extra time to learn them... side tracking your actual issue, which isn't the direct route) Althoughas Mikealz explains there are some strick stillness meditations that also go along with movement meditations... that might be a better deal for you.

I think Mikealz explains it pretty well in his post regarding how to better understand it although I'll still gotta give my reason in my own words. (god I'm also attached to the Self also way to much)

they are definitely complimentary in my opinion. i think a lot of the issues that arise with strict Qi Gong practitioners are remedied by stillness meditation, and vice versa with strict stillness meditation (such as in your case)

Qi Gong can help

but really what it comes down to is that you're still hung up on the "I" and attaching to the body, i know that this seems so vague and hard to practice, especially when in the midst of a meditative breakdown, or whatever, but its true. you're not surrendering enough. surrender and keep positive (which Qi Gong can really help with ie. Inner Smile meditation) also diet is important, raw vegetables will solve many energetic complications. you could try juice fasting too for a couple days. these are all ideas that you can play around with if you want

The problem is for me it eventually got too strong. The muscles in my abdomen would clench, I would feel rushes up my spine and through my arms and legs. A strong desire to jump up and move around and even yell out loud comes over me. It sounds ridiculous I know.

I thought if I practiced qigong the energy body could become stronger and the channels could flow smoothly, then when I'm sitting I can handle it better. Am I getting this wrong? Sorry to ramble...

I have similar problems with my meditation. You talk about the intense physical responses you get from the emotions that arise. Going with the zen idea of "just keep sitting" really doesn't sound like what you need to be doing right now. I think you are on the right track thinking you might need to go beyond sitting zazen. People have brought up some good points about why qigong might not be a good idea (getting you sidetracked with feeling good or getting power, supercharging your negative emotions) but you seem to have a good head on your shoulders and you seem to have genuine devotion to spiritual practices, so I say go for it.

I think the inner smile (Healing Tao and/or Glenn Morris versions) are a good idea. Also, vipassana sounds like a good alternative to just "sitting through it": go deep into your body and learn to truly relax and let go of the physical tension and the underlying emotion. A similar technique with a more qigong/Taoist feel is the dissolving meditation of B. K. Frantzis. I highly recommend all of his works for someone in your shoes. His books Relaxing into your Being and The Great Stillness are about the progression of meditation in his branch of Taoism. They really helped me make sense of all this qigong vs. meditation stuff. He talks about dealing with all the emotions that come up and strengthening the central nervous system with qigong in order to deal with intense energies that arise in meditation (emotional or otherwise). Your idea about strengthening/clearing the channels helping to handle sitting meditation is something he is says is very important. He also has a great book on basic qigong called Opening the Energy Gates of Your Body which gives instructions on the basic level of the dissolving practice.

Keep in mind that I do not speak with any authority; I am still experimenting and learning the stuff I recommended to you and so cannot say it has "worked." Actually, you seem to be more advanced in meditation than I am :lol: . But I have looked into a lot of stuff and these particular practices have really resonated with me and I think I am making progress on my emotional issues with them.

Best of luck to you!

Dr. Yang jwing ming's book on the 8 pieces of brocade is a good one to start with. It has clear picture and good discriptions, he also has a video that gos along with it. It is a very good beginer qigong set.

taiji phoenix

spring forest qi gong,then you for sure arent wasting your time.And combining it with zazen will make it MUCH more effective

I agree. Spring Forest wasn't the first qigong I've tried, but everything you need to know is there. I've moved on to different practices now, but I'll definitely carry some of Master Chunyi Lin's teachings with me no matter what path I move to. And the emptiness of Zazen will work wonderfully with SFQ.

Santi is a great guy and knows his stuff also.

I can vouch for that. I'm taking his course right now. I am actually in shock and awe about what I'm learning from him.

Sign in to follow this